Neophyte - has to acquire perfect control of the Astral Plane. (from "One Star in Sight")
The Syllabus of the Neophyte
His duties are laid down in Paper B, Class D [The Task of the Neophyte]. He receives "Liber VII" ["Liber Liberi vel Lapidis Lazuli, Adumbratio Kabbalæ Ægyptiorum"].
Examination in "Liber O [Manus et Sagittæ]", Chapters I-IV, Theoretical and Practical.
Examination in the Four Powers of the Sphinx. Practical. Four tests are set.
Further, he builds up the magic Pentacle.
Finally he passes "Ritual CXX" ["Liber Cadaveris"], which constitutes him a Zelator.
The Task of a Neophyte
0. Let any Probationer who has accomplished his task to the satisfaction of the [Order] be instructed in the proper course of procedure: which is: —Let him read through this note of his office, and sign it, paying the sum of One Guinea for "Liber VII [Liber Liberi vel Lapidis Lazuli, Adumbratio Kabbalæ Ægyptiorum]" which will be given to him on his initiation, and One Guinea for this Portfolio of Class D publications, B-G. Let him obtain the robe of a Neophyte, and entrust the same to the care of his Neophyte.
He shall choose a new motto with deep forethought and intense solemnity, as expressing the clearer consciousness of his Aspiration which the year’s Probation has given him.
Let him make an appointment with his Neophyte at the pleasure of the latter for the ceremony of Initiation.
1. The Neophyte shall not proceed to the grade of Zelator in less than eight months; but shall hold himself free for four days for advancement at the end of that period.
2. He shall pass the four tests called the Powers of the Sphinx.
3. He shall apply himself to understand the nature of his Initiation.
4. He shall commit to memory a chapter of "Liber VII [Liber Liberi vel Lapidis Lazuli, Adumbratio Kabbalæ Ægyptiorum]" ; and furthermore, he shall study and practice "Liber O" in all its branches; also he shall begin to study "Liber H[HH]" and some one commonly accepted method of divination. He will further be examined in his power of Journeying in the Spirit Vision.
5. Beside all this, he shall perform any tasks that his Zelator in the name of the [Order] and by its authority may see fit to lay upon him. Let him be mindful that the word Neophyte is no idle term, but that in many a subtle way the new nature will stir within him, when he knoweth it not.
6. When the sun shall next enter the sign 240° to that under which he hath been received, his advancement may be granted unto him. He shall keep himself free from all other engagements for four whole days from that date.
7. He may at any moment withdraw from his association with the [Order], simply notifying the Zelator who introduced him.
8. He shall everywhere proclaim openly his connection with the [Order] and speak of It and Its principles (even so little as he understandeth) for that mystery is the enemy of Truth.
Furthermore, he shall construct the magic Pentacle, according to the instruction in "Liber A [vel Armorum]".
One month before the completion of his eight months, he shall deliver a copy of his Record to his Neophyte, pass the necessary tests, and repeat to him his chosen chapter of "Liber VII [Liber Liberi vel Lapidis Lazuli, Adumbratio Kabbalæ Ægyptiorum]".
10. He shall in every way fortify his body according to the advice of his Zelator, for that the ordeal of advancement is no light one.
11. Thus and not otherwise may he obtain the great reward: YEA, MAY HE OBTAIN THE GREAT REWARD!
The following books are officially appointed for the study of the Neophyte:
"Liber AL vel Legis", "The Book of the Law".
"Liber E vel Exercitiorum".
"Liber O vel Manus et Sagittæ".
"A vel Armorum".
The Book of Thoth.
"Liber Os Abysmi vel DAATH".
["Liber HHH", Section MMM]
"Liber Liberi vel Lapidis Lazuli, Adumbratio Kabbalæ Ægyptiorum".
This course is specially adapted to the Task of this Grade, the Attainment of Control of the Body of Light, development of Intuition, et cetera.
The Robe of a Neophyte
The Neophyte shall wear a Robe of Black Linen or Wool or Silk, in the Shape of the Tau, with the Red Triangle upon the breast, the Θελημα symbol of “the red three-angled heart set up in the shrine.” The Hood is of the same material, with the Golden Eye in the Silver Triangle upon the brow.
The Oath of a Neophyte
I, ______________________ (old motto), being of sound mind and body, and prepared, on this ___ day of ___________ (An ______ SUN in __° of __) do hereby resolve: in the Presence of ______________________ a Zelator of the A.'.A.'.: To prosecute the Great Work: which is, to obtain control of the nature and powers of my own being.
Further, I promise to observe zeal in service to the Probationers under me, and to deny myself utterly on their behalf.
May the A.'.A.'. crown the work, lend me of Its wisdom in the work, enable me to understand the work!
Reverence, duty, sympathy, devotion, assiduity, trust do I bring to the A.'.A.'. and in eight months from this date may I be admitted to the knowledge and conversation of the A.'.A.'.!